POLISH + SHOOT (Editorial Lip Masterclass) with NICOLE THOMPSON
This course is designed for makeup artists that want to enhance their skills by creating editorial lip designs for social media posts and their professional portfolio. It can also be for those makeup artists who want to refresh and update their skills.
From day ones tips and tricks students will design 2 looks for an editorial beauty style lip story they feel will enhance their professional portfolio. These looks are photographed up-close and of the lip area only.
Students will send through mood boards, face charts and trial designs through to Nicole Thompson and Carlo Fernandes for feedback before the shoot day.
Students can provide own models for the shoot or CJMD can source professional models for you at an extra fee.
Students will be able to select one image from each look to be professionally retouched for their editorial story. Any additional images will be extra and chargeable to the photographer directly.
This course takes on a limited amount of makeup artists each intake to ensure they are mentored with one on one interaction with the professional makeup artists.
- Techniques for achieving the perfect lip shape for a bold lip
- Techniques for creating a ombre lip
- Techniques for creating a lip design using diamantes, glitter and more
- Techniques for creating lip art
- Students complete the practicals of the different styles
- Students are required to bring in a model for the class
- Students will gain critiquing of their work during practicals to ensure they are at an industry level.
Senior Artist Nicole Thompson never anticipated the extent to which her former grunge years would shape her later career. “I always got in trouble at school for reapplying my liquid liner and burgundy lipstick in class!” she recalls. Growing up in Sydney, Australia, Nicole describes herself as a typical, naughty, 90s teen, but an early love of fashion and photography was nevertheless a critical step in her journey to becoming a Senior Artist.
Still living in Sydney with her husband and daughter, Nicole describes a culture that is relaxed and diverse. She joined the M·A·C family in 2005 after being drawn by its close links to the fashion industry, and was soon scoring fans for her bold, colourful and dramatic style.
These days Nicole prescribes Lip Pencil in Half-Red and Lipstick in Snob for a more adult variation on the 90s mauve lip. Success, she says, comes from being true to who you are. “It has taken me many years to really embrace that notion, but it’s my first bit of advice to anyone who is joining the industry for the first time,” she says. It’s why, among her heroes, Nicole counts Iris Apfel, who she describes as “an icon without judgment, who believes in happiness before fashion.”
Nicole’s style might not be “natural,” but she nevertheless preaches the good word of caring for your skin. A glowing complexion, she says, is the basis of all great beauty looks. Her go-to powder is Mineralize Skinfinish in Soft & Gentle, which, when accompanied by foundation layered over Cream Colour Base in Hush or Pearl, creates what she describes as the perfect glow.
Career highlights include working with Val Garland in Paris for a Vivienne Westwood show – not bad for Nicole’s first visit to the city. “It was a full circle moment,” she says, “when all the things I’d dreamed about when studying in college, finally came together.”
While others are famous for creating one signature look, Nicole’s approach is more fluid. “I believe that there is no one-size-fits-all approach to makeup,” she says. “Everyone is different and ingredients or techniques you need to bring out your own magic won’t be the same for the next person.”
“No two days are the same in this business. The great thing is having variation and connecting with the many different clients I meet every single day. For me, it’s all about creating a look that really enhances the face of the person sitting in my chair.”
Attendance: 2 day 9am – 5:30pm
Course Fees $1100 + GST (includes 2 day course and 2 retouched images from the photoshoot)
Pre-Requisites: * Need to have minimum Cert II level or provide industry experience
Course Dates: 19th August & 2nd September
In order to secure your position in the course you are required to pay the full course fees two weeks prior to the course commencement. CJMD requires a minimum of 8 students to run the class and have a maximum of 12 students.
The course outline is below;
- Lip shape correction theory, product textures and lip preparation
- Demonstration of mastering an bold lip design
- Demonstration of mastering an ombre lip design
- Demonstration of mastering Lip Art creations
- Theory on how to plan for an editorial lip story, different types of textures that can be used, methods of applying, demonstrations of applying and design ideas
- Practical time for students to play with materials and create design ideas
Requirements for lesson
Makeup artists are required to bring their makeup kit and 1 model (afternoon only) for the lesson that have beautiful big lips to work on.
Photoshoot schedule will be released after enrolments are finalised
Requirements for lesson
- Makeup artists are required to bring their makeup kit
- Makeup artists are required to organise 1 or 2 models for day (2 looks will be shot) or contact CJMD to arrange professional models at an extra charge.
- Makeup artists are required to design looks for the photoshoot and send to CJMD trainer & photographer for reviewing
To enrol for this course or request our course information booklet, please contact 02 9212 2222 or email email@example.com.